Jonathan Charland, BA, JD
Jonathan is a skilled litigator who represents private businesses and individuals in a variety of civil and commercial disputes.
He has appeared as lead counsel at every level of court in Ontario. Jonathan’s cases have been reported in the Ontario Reports and cited in authoritative texts such as Watson & McGowan’s Ontario Civil Practice and Wayne Gray’s The Annotated Ontario Business Corporations Act.
Jonathan earned his law degree at the University of Toronto Faculty of Law, where he served as a Senior Editor of the Indigenous Law Journal. He completed his B.A. (Hons. Spec.) in Political Science at the University of Western Ontario while earning the Martin G. Westmacott Award.
Jonathan is a member of the Ontario bar, the Indigenous Bar Association, and the Advocates’ Society.
Jonathan can be emailed at
Call me to discuss:
- Debt Collection
- Real Property Disputes
- Mortgage Enforcement
- Judgment Enforcement
- Contract Disputes
- Contract Interpretation and Advice
- Assessment of Solicitor’s Accounts
- Enforcement of Foreign & American Judgments
- Enforcement of Extra-Provincial Judgments
- Repair & Storage Liens
- Construction Liens
Cases and Publications
- TA Associates, L.P., (as successor to TA Associates, Inc.,) v Gandy,  O.J. No. 209, 2016 ONSC 358 (Charles T. Hackland, J.)
- Paulsen v Wolfson Law Professional Corporation,  O.J. No. 4495, 2015 ONSC 5714, 258 A.C.W.S. (3d) 219, 339 O.A.C.200, 2015 CarswellOnt 13075 (Div. Ct.) (E.F. Then, J.)
- Richter LLP v Big Truck TV Productions Inc.,  O.J. No. 5396, 2014 ONSC 6379, 62 C.P.C. (7th) 396, 246 A.C.W.S. (3d) 111, 3 P.P.S.A.C. (4th) 113, 2014 CarswellOnt 15924 (Goldstein J.); reversed  O.J. No. 4067, 2015 ONCA 567, 127 O.R. (3d) 314, 29 C.B.R. (6th) 163, 76 C.P.C. (7th) 296, 4 P.P.S.A.C. (4th) 249, 255 A.C.W.S. (3d) 895, 2015 CarswellOnt 11497
- Guarantee and Indemnity Agreements, co-authored chapter in Tenant’s Rights and Remedies in a Commercial Lease: A Practical Guide, 2nd Ed., Harvey Haber ed. (Toronto: Canada Law Book, 2014)